Fresh Arugula
Check out my other blog! Some of my random ramblinz about life and my experiences along the way.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Eat Your Fruits and Veggies Now. . .

Fruits, fruits, fruits. Veggies, veggies, veggies. That is the real trick and key to successful weight loss. I didn't really believe it before, but now that I'm starting to see the results on the scales, I'm excited that what I'm doing must be the right thing!

It really isn't that hard to include more fruits and vegetables in your daily meal plan. The important thing, though, is to find what works for you. I used to think that I had to eat apples, oranges, and tomatoes on a regular basis. I really don't like apples because I feel stuffed after a half an apple, I don't like the time I have to waste on getting an orange ready to eat, and tomatoes go bad on me way too fast. I stick them in the fridge and three days later there's mold all over all the other vegetables!

So while I dutifully bought the fruits and vegetables I didn't like to eat, bringing them home to sit in my fridge until they turned bad and I could finally throw them out, I wondered how I could find something that worked for me. Then the berry season began and I discovered blueberries. And cherries. And grape tomatoes.

My fruits and veggies shopping list looks quite different now that I have done some experimenting and thrown away bags of rotten produce! I'm not spending a significant portion of my budget on junk food, so I invest it in my health by buying quality fruits and vegetables that I enjoy eating. Here's a look at my staples, along with some favourites I pick up on a less regular basis.
  • Blueberries
  • Cherries
  • Grape tomatoes
  • English cucumbers
  • Green bell peppers, red & orange & yellow only if they're on sale
  • Baby spinach, bagged & pre-washed (every now and then)
  • Arugula, bagged & pre-washed (every now and then)
  • Bananas (every now and then)
I have learned that I prefer to buy produce that is easy to eat. I like something with a crunch and crispiness to it, but I don't like eating waxy produce (ie. the apples). Green leaves are great to stuff in a sandwich while grape tomatoes and bell peppers make for a lovely accompaniment. With each bowl of cereal I throw in a handful of blueberries, and often I begin supper with a bowlful of cherries. I make eating produce fun and I make it a major part of my meal.

Sometimes I worry that I am not getting all the nutrients I need because I have a smaller selection of fruits and vegetables. However, the list above is simply what I eat for breakfast and supper. For lunch I have a healthy portion of vegetables and usually a large green salad, so I stock up on the other items mid-day. I'm grateful I've found what works for me and I'm super excited because I know I'm eating a whole lot more fruit and vegetables than I used to. And I'm lovin' it!

No comments:

Post a Comment