Fresh Arugula
Check out my other blog! Some of my random ramblinz about life and my experiences along the way.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

In groups of 5

So I lost my first 5 pounds today!!! Of course I'm rather apprehensive about the scales tomorrow; they seem to be rather vindictive. One day they'll go down 1/2 a pound and the next they'll go up 2 pounds. I really don't know the rhyme or reason, though I have a sneaking suspicion that if I logged what I ate and when I ate it for the next couple of weeks, I'd have a better idea. Can't be bothered, though.

When I happily announced to a group of people that I was going to lose weight this semester (why oh why did I do that?), I wasn't thinking about the miserable aspect of that. Realistically, there are 2 ways to lose weight. Increase exercise. Reduce calorie intake. I've done both in order to have maximum impact and because I know that for my body I can't just increase exercise because I end up eating whatever I like and putting on weight instead of losing it.

This time around I'm limiting myself to 2 meals a day with fruit in the evening if I need it. It's hard. Actually, it's VERY HARD. And yes, I meant to put that in all caps. My stomach rattles rather emptily at about 8 pm and I usually don't get to sleep til 11 so I end up being distracted by it and can't think very clearly. I crave carbs because I love eating bread and my current diet doesn't allow for a lot of that.

Here's what I'm doing:
  • Exercise 3 miles a day (walk up hills/jog down hills) 6 days a week
  • Eat oatmeal with blueberries and walnuts for breakfast 5 days a week
  • Eat beans for lunch 5 days a week if possible
  • Skip supper or eat an orange/grapefruit if needed
Nothing too fancy but the key is consistency. The benefits after 2.5 weeks:
  • Lost 5 pounds
  • Pants fit better
  • Increased self-esteem
  • Sleep well at night
  • Reduced sugar cravings
I didn't even realize it, but because of my diet, I've significantly reduced the amount of sugar I eat. Now, if I want something sweet, I have a rice cracker with Smuckers Fruit Spread and Tofutti Sour Cream. A couple of those and I'm happy!

I'm so pleased that this has been successful and I'm writing about it because I need the accountability. I need to lose a minimum of 29 pounds by August 1 and 5 of those are gone already! I plan to march at my graduation with a huge smile, not just because I completed the studies, but because I reached a very important personal goal of losing weight. I am also going to a large convention in July and would love to feel comfortable in my skin when I meet up with old friends there. Plus I need to learn how to eat healthy now so when I'm there for 2 weeks I don't put all the weight right back on. This is the daily battle, possibly a battle for life, but that is why I'm fighting it. I want my life and I'm willing to fight my natural desires for the sugars, the carbs, and the processed foods high in fat, so I can be victorious with Christ's help.

No comments:

Post a Comment