Fresh Arugula
Check out my other blog! Some of my random ramblinz about life and my experiences along the way.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Late Night Munchies

So here's what works
  • 500 calorie meals
  • 1 hour exercise daily (every single day. . .)
  • 3 servings of fruits and/or vegetables at each meal
Here's what I don't have to do
  • Restrict favourite foods
  • Eat oil-free, sugar-free, gluten-free
  • Eat before 6 pm
  • Stop eating out
It worked last time so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it's working again this time! The one exception is that last time I was following a pre-diabetic meal plan and I did eliminate sugar and oil, but I wasn't counting calories then. I'll admit, counting calories is tedious. Every meal, I have to run to my computer and pull up www.caloriecount.com and type in the food items so I can get an estimate of how much is on my plate. The really neat thing is that caloriecount has a recipe calculator, where you enter in the recipe's ingredients, and it will calculate the nutritional facts and total calories for you.

The exciting part is that I dropped 2.4 lbs in one week! I began this journey by calculating my BMI and BMR and calorie intake and learned that I need about 2,500 calories daily to maintain my weight if I exercise 3-5 times a week. My goal is to exercise 7 times a week and shave 1,000 calories daily so I will guarantee a 2-lb consistent weight loss and have a slight buffer for the birthdays, special occasions, and meals out with friends.

Ah yes, and late night munchies. When I'm craving a snack or something sweet, or I just can't face another apple, my new go-to is dried fruit. About 10 apricots is just a 110-calorie serving so I can enjoy something fun and still feel healthy. For breakfast yesterday, since 9 am was too early to eat, I threw dates, almonds, and apricots into a tupperware, grabbed a tangelo, and was on my way. The 500-calorie "trail mix" kept me full til lunch!

I've also found I can get in one of my veggie servings by boiling down 3 cups of raw spinach into about a 1/2 cup. It takes all of 3 minutes, tastes great, and I'm getting my greens in! Yes, this way of eating is slightly more time-consuming, largely because I'm a penny pincher and refuse to buy pre-cut fruit or pre-made mixes. But I have a little extra time to devote to my health right now anyhow, so I don't mind. To lose the weight and gain the self-confidence will be worth it.

à votre santé!

No comments:

Post a Comment