Fresh Arugula
Check out my other blog! Some of my random ramblinz about life and my experiences along the way.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Crunchy Chickpeas

Yay, I'm excited! I was watching Rachael Ray today, and a chef was showing her how to make quick easy snacks using the microwave. I tried the chickpea (garbanzo) recipe today and it worked out pretty good. Now I'm looking forward to trying the kale chips recipe, since kale chips are my new favorite (but expensive if bought in the store!) snack.

Crunchy Chickpeas
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Line baking tray with parchment paper.
  3. Drain (& rinse) two cans of chickpeas. Shake dry. 
  4. Spread in an even layer on baking tray.
  5. Bake for 40 minutes.
  6. Spray a microwaveable plate with cooking spray.
  7. Place half the chickpeas on the plate, sprinkle seasonings generously, and mix.
  8. Pop in microwave for 6 minutes.
  9. Store in a glass jar or tin. 
Tips: Season with salt, cumin & garlic powder. The original recipe uses olive oil, but I'm trying to watch my calorie and oil intake, so I found the cooking spray worked just fine. It also called for an additional 4 minutes in the microwave on a paper-towel lined plate, but my microwave works really well, so the first batch (when I did the full 10 minutes) turned out pretty crunchy and a bit hard on the teeth. Tweak it according to your oven and microwave, and have fun with the seasonings! I'm interested in trying out these fun combos:
  • Cinnamon & a dusting of powdered sugar?
  • Curry powder
  • Chili powder
  • Agave syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment