Fresh Arugula
Check out my other blog! Some of my random ramblinz about life and my experiences along the way.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Breakfasts

I'm a sanguine, so unlike my uncle who diligently measures out his cereal in a weighing scale every morning, I get tired of routine in my meals pretty quickly. When I first started eating healthier, I had oatmeal for breakfast every single morning. I enjoyed it, at first, but then I got bored. I wanted variety but I wasn't sure how to get it while still eating things that were good for me. Here are some of the ideas I've come up with:

Rolled oats with unsweetened soymilk, berries, a few nuts, an apple or pear or banana, flaxmeal, wheatgerm, vanilla & cinnamon. Rolled oats are not broken down as much as quick oats, so they take longer to break down in your digestive system and keep your blood sugar more stable.

Mushroom, onion, polenta, bell pepper, spinach scramble with italian seasonings. It can double as a lunch dish as well.

Wholewheat pancakes with unsweetened soymilk, baking powder, a mashed banana if you like, vanilla, and a bit of maple syrup. Some recipes add apple cider vinegar, which thickens up the soymilk til it's like buttermilk, or throw in some oats. I love these with a fruit stew from frozen berries (try blueberries, strawberries, and mangoes) simmered in a pot on the stove with a bit of cornstarch, agave syrup, and a dash of nutmeg. 

Muffins with soy yogurt or a fruit smoothie.

Wholewheat pita bread with slices of avocado, English cucumber, and a dash of garlic powder.

Grapenuts cereal (did you know they don't have any sugar?) with vanilla soymilk (best if it's the sweetened kind), berries, a banana, and perhaps some honey if it needs a bit of sweetening.

No comments:

Post a Comment