Fresh Arugula
Check out my other blog! Some of my random ramblinz about life and my experiences along the way.

Friday, September 10, 2010

I Choose

Okay, the weight is not dropping off me like I had hoped it would. Even though I'm walking an hour or so every morning! While being slightly frustrated (very frustrated), I am trying to be grateful that at least I'm not putting on weight. And that I don't have to lose over a hundred pounds like many who are trying to lose weight have to. And that I can see a difference in pictures I took several months ago. And that I am eating healthier and being more aware of my body.

Today I decided that I am not going to stock my cupboards with salty snacks, either. I have cut out desserts, except on Sabbath and birthdays. I have cut out sweet snacks, but now I need to work on the salty snacks. Having a snack isn't the problem, what is my problem is that I create a meal out of snacks, and it's usually my supper meal. Of course that is the worst meal of the day to be eating 700 calories worth of salty snacks like crackers, Indian Bombay trail mix, and potato chips. I have a bit of a sweet tooth, but my salty tooth is about as strong!

The exciting part is that I am not craving sweets anymore. I have been experimenting with different fruits (this week I bought grapes, cantaloupe, bananas, and bartlett pears) and I try to be sure I eat at least one serving of fruit a day. It is easier to be satisfied with a single serving or two of dessert, now that my body doesn't crave it like it used to. I'm hoping the same thing will hapen with the salty foods.

I am still working on finding a quick, easy, and cheap alternative salty spread for my sandwiches. Babaganoush is my spread of choice right now (just bought two eggplants that I plan to bake and prepare this weekend) but again, it is time consuming!

I was looking at different foods in the grocery stores today, and realized as I picked up the various brightly coloured packages that I really am becoming more discriminating in what I choose to put into my body. I am choosing to keep my dairy and egg consumption to a minimum, eating vegan at home for the majority (I did buy some organic, free-ranging, cage-free, 100% vegetarian diet, eggs today!). I am choosing not to buy foods that have an ingredient list longer than my shopping list and that includes unpronounceable names. I am choosing to stay away from the preservatives, the colourings, and the artificial flavourings as much as I can.

My personal philosophy towards food is being created as I go along, but it includes some of the following:
  • I choose to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables each day
  • I choose to eat till I am full and not till I'm stuffed
  • I choose to make healthy selections when I'm food-shopping
  • I choose to reach for the whole grains as much as possible (still working on this one!)
  • I choose to stock my shelves and refrigerators with foods that are good for me

1 comment:

  1. We have made the same changes. Though we do buy organic dairy. I do miss sweets still. I don't deny myself as much as you. But I have not been buying them. Oh, and I have cut out buying regular diet soda pop at home (which is good for me). We do buy Hansen's Natural, Zevia or Blue Sky which is not full of all the chemicals.

    ReplyDelete